Designer fashions, celebrity smut & dating diaries

Friday, February 02, 2007

They say you are what you eat...

The same can be said for what you put on. In fact, there is a lot to be said for the saying, "Clothing makes the man"...or in this case, the woman.

As my girlfriends and I were sitting at a trendy restaurant downtown one Friday night, having cocktails, a young (good looking) guy came to our table to see if he could borrow a chair. As if on cue, we all said, in sync, "Well we don't mind...but our bags might." The young guy glanced down at the chair on which we had set our bags to keep them off the floor. He laughed and asked jokingly, "Well if I can guess which bag belongs to who, can I take this chair?" Since we were in the mood for some fun and laughs, we enthusiastically agreed, eager to see whether he would succeed.

He picked up Jackie's small black shoulder bag and examined it closely. "This is my favourite," he exclaimed, slipping the bag over his shoulder (I don't *think* he was gay...). "It's simple and practical" (See?? Guys really are easy to please ;)). Next, he studied Angie's bag and praised it for its classic elegance. Next was my turn. "This bag wins for softness!" He proclaimed, petting my tiny leopard print Guess purse.

In the end, he was wrong about which bag belonged to who, but if he had known us better, I'm sure he would have had no trouble figuring it out. As he was describing each of our bags, I couldn't help but notice how our choice of accessories, and even our cocktails, reflected our unique personalities: Angie, the "Charlotte" of our group (I say this because of her style and because she is the only one of us who is married, and Charlotte was always the one who wanted to get married. And like Charlotte, Ang has warm brown eyes, which give her an innocent air. I should note, however, that Angie is a lot smarter than Charlotte and is in no way naive), is classic and conservative. Her dark, unadorned evening bag and rose wine mirrored these characteristics. Jackie, on the other hand, is the sporty one of the group. She's more like Miranda, although she's a total sweetheart & doesn't have a bitchy bone in her body. ;) Jax's practical purse and marguerita reflected her down-to-earth, fun-loving style. As for me, I like to describe my own style as a mix of classic, glamourous, and trendy, which I think was reflected in my leopard print bag and Cosmopolitan.

This discovery reminded me of our recent trip to the spa, & I realized that even our choice of nail polish demonstrated our personal styles. Angie had chosen a classic shade of red, while Jackie opted for burgandy. I, on the other hand, went for trendy black.

We had all noticed our preferences at the time and had even jokingly nicknamed ourselves "Classic Spice," "Sporty Spice," and "Trendy Spice" (What can I say? We grew up in the 90s and were fans of the Spice Girls ;)). But it wasn't until an outside observer described each of our bags that I realized just how pronounced our styles are and how much we compliment each other.

Thus, in the spirit of this discovery, I believe it's time to update the old adage: Clothing may make the man, but clothing, shoes, accessories, and cosmetics make the woman. ;)

1 Comments:

  • At 2:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I appreciated your kind way of knowledge.Great Stuff Here..hope more to come.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home